Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dedication of Bush Library....Day 1 - Travel


Thinking back 12 years ago to the first time I met President Bush. It was a hot day in June; he was in a t shirt playing horseshoes with a friend, “be there in a minute-just finishing the game.” It was before 9-11 and the world was different. Leah, Sebastian and I Started looking around when a beautiful blond rushed into my personal space let out a she lion roar and pulled up her shirt revealing an exceptional six pack. She yelled out her name and demanded “Feel my abs!” I was speechless. The horseshoe game ended and the President walked up to my son and said, “Hello young man what’s your name?” Sebastian looked up put out his hand and said “My name is Adrian Sebastian Martinez.” It was a moment I’ll never forget.
Tomorrow Leah and I will attend the opening of the Bush library. My son now 21 is away at college, and the world is indeed changed .Besides Leah and I and many other people five Presidents will be there. It will be good to see everything and visit some of the major paintings I’ve completed for them over the years. I’ll keep you posted in real time tomorrow on face book and this blog- Stay tuned.    By the way, I bet your thinking “what about the lioness?” She was the wife of President  Bush’s horse shoe partner and apparently a popular fitness guru in Texas. The whole yelling thing and the “Feel my abs!” demand was part of her ebullient persona. 

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what great painting can accomplish. Nice essay too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete